The Club was born out of a Highfield Estate children’s party held to celebrate the 1953 Coronation of Queen Elizabeth. It started life in an old nissen hut in the grounds of Market End House (now demolished).
Two years later it moved to more spacious accomodation just up the road in George Street to the council owned site of a former agricultural hostel, where it can be found today. Renowned for its philanthropy towards the local residents it also ran very successful annual horticultural shows and fetes for many years.
Over the years the club has encouraged and supported many past times including boys, men’s and ladies football, darts, aunt sally, dominoes etc. and it has a well stocked trophy cabinet. The club extended its premises in 1970 and eventually managed to buy the site outright from the council. Over the next 25 years it continued to prosper until in 1996 when it was able to build the present club knocking the old buildings down to form the current car park.
In 2013 the club celebrated its 60th Anniversary, see dedicated page on this website!